FanimeCon Presents: The 2012 Black and White Ball
It’s another year — and another evening of fun and elegance at FanimeCon 2012’s Black and White Ball! Dig out your favorite dance shoes, haul out your best formalwear or formal cosplay, and come find us in Parkside Hall on Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM for great music, beautiful photographs, and of course hours of dancing!
Not sure how to dance? Don’t worry! The Black and White Ball staff will be offering group dance lessons every day leading up to the ball, as well as a handful of private lessons (first come, first serve, so sign up early during the con!). Come and experience one of the most talked about events of FanimeCon!
Please note, there is a dress code for the ball:
|Tops||Button-up long-sleeve shirts; ties; dress jackets; suit jackets; formal cosplays||Button-up short-sleeve shirts; T-shirts; tank tops; muscle shirts; ripped shirts; not wearing a shirt|
|Bottoms||Dress pants; slacks; khakis; pants that are part of a cosplay||Jeans; shorts; cutoffs|
|Shoes||Dress shoes; ballroom-dance shoes; dress boots; leather sole or suede sole shoes preferred||Sneakers; sandals; Birkenstocks; flip-flops; bare feet; dance sneakers|
|Tops||Button-up blouses; long-sleeve shirts (crossplay); evening jackets; gloves; evening gowns; dresses that do not go higher than 2 inches above the knees||T-shirts; tank tops; tube tops|
|Bottoms||Skirts that do not go higher than 2 inches above the knees; dress pants (crossplay)||Jeans; shorts; cutoffs|
|Shoes||Dress shoes; ballroom-dance shoes; flats; heels; dress boots; leather-sole or suede-sole shoes preferred||Sneakers; stiletto shoes (heels higher than 4 inches that end with a point smaller than the size of a nickel); sandals; Birkenstocks; flip-flops; bare feet|
Things to remember:
- Coat Check: Sorry, we won’t be offering a coat check this year. Please keep your personal belongings close by and avoid bringing too much with you, as the dance hall often reaches full capacity during the ball. FanimeCon is not responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen items.
- Dance Etiquette: Please be courteous and respectful to others. If you want to decline a dance, please do so politely. There are also no restrictions on who can do the asking when it comes to requesting a dance!
- Dance Lessons: The Black & White Ball staff will be providing group dance lessons every day up until the ball — and a handful private lessons on select nights during FanimeCon. (More details on private lessons will be available during the group lessons.) If you want a sneak peek of the steps that’ll be taught at the lessons or just want to refresh your memory before the ball, we’ve got videos of our instructors demonstrating steps for all the dances on FanimeCon’s Youtube channel!
- Line of Dance: Since there will be others dancing on the floor with you, please be respectfully aware of other dancers. For traveling dances (waltz, tango, foxtrot), please travel in a counter-clockwise direction (line of dance). More experienced dancers should generally dance on the outer edge of the floor while more inexperienced dancers should dance closer to the center of the floor. If you choose to do a stationary dance (such as swing) during a line-of-dance song (such as foxtrot), you MUST dance in the center of the floor. Please help us prevent any collisions!
- Music: The playlist will be finalized before the ball, so no requests for songs will be taken during the event. If you’d like to suggest a song, please head over to the forums.
- Personal Hygiene: Since you’ll be in close contact with many people, please freshen up before coming to the ball. Breath mints are also appreciated!
- Shoes: Please wear appropriate and comfortable shoes! (See the dress code chart for tips/guidance.) Your feet will thank you by the end of the night. Dancing barefoot is not allowed.
- Stay Hydrated: Since dancing is an intense activity, please keep aware of your own health! In particular, remember to drink lots of water — we’ll be providing lots of it during the ball.
- Photography: Make FanimeCon’s Black and White Ball 2012 a night to remember! Come by our photo booth and have your picture taken on our green screen with your choice of backgrounds! Prints start at $5 each and you will receive the prints before leaving the event. Portraits will be provided by Mynessa Photography.